Weekly Digest of IA News: Apply for the PAGE Fellowship, White House Event Next Week, and More

By Jamie Haft, Imagining America Communications Manager

2012-2013 Call for PAGE Fellows: Imagining America invites graduate students with a demonstrated interest in public scholarship and/or artistic practice to apply to join this year’s PAGE Summit and Working Group. Awardees receive $500 to attend a half-day Fellows Summit on Oct. 4 and the IA National Conference, Oct. 5-7, both in New York City. Fellows also commit to co-create and participate in a yearlong working group to promote collaborative art-making, teaching, writing, and research. Deadline is June 1. [Link]

White House Young America Series Next Week: On Wednesday, April 18, from 6-9 p.m. Eastern, Syracuse University will host 300 high school and college students from Central New York on the topic of civic engagement. Students will share stories from their experiences addressing real-world problems in their communities. Affiliated with the White House Office of Public Engagement and the U.S. Department of Education Office of Communications and Outreach, IA and its local Publicly Active Graduate Education chapter are helping to organize the event. Watch live on the web and engage via Twitter, #WHatSU. [Link]

Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement Steering Committee: IA joins 12 other national organizations to coordinate and expand the impact of civic learning initiatives around the country. This effort emerges from discussions among some 140 civic and educational leaders brought together during a year-long initiative sponsored by the Department of Education and coordinated by AAC&U and the Global Perspective Institute, Inc. [Link]

IA Conference Proposals due April 23: Just a reminder. [Link]

Field-Wide News:

Symposium: Tomorrow through Saturday, April 12-14, in Minneapolis, MN, and live streamed on the web, the Walker Art Center and Northern Lights.mn present, “Discourse and Discord: Architecture of Agonism from the Kitchen Table to the City Street.” In various sessions, local and national artists and scholars will explore agonism, a political theory that emphasizes the potentially positive aspects of certain (but not all) forms of political conflict, and its relevancy to art, democracy, and more. [Link]

Summer Opportunity for Students & Community Partners in Wisconsin: The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee will host this free, five-week summer course, “Field School in Buildings, Landscapes, and Cultures,” from June 11 to July 14. Participants will be trained in site documentation, historic interpretation of buildings and landscapes, and primary source research, and will create site reports on historic buildings and cultural landscapes that will become part of the historical record of Wisconsin. [Link]

Conferences: Community-Campus Partnerships for Health’s 15th anniversary conference will be held April 18-21, in Houston, TX. The conference will bring together individuals promoting health or social justice through community-based participatory research, service-learning, and community-academic partnerships. [Link]

“Going Local (Imagining Atlanta),” the 2012 Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas conference will be June 28 – July 1. Last year, the conference theme, “The Dramaturg as Public Artist,” challenged dramaturgs to use their skills in institutional and audience outreach to imagine a truly public role for themselves; the upcoming conference will expand upon this theme by using the city of Atlanta as a case study for how dramaturgs and other artists can serve the community in public and innovative ways.” [Link]

No Comments Yet

You can be the first to comment!