Civic Professionalism: A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Liberal Arts Education
This project, made possible through the generosity of the Teagle Foundation, focuses on “Civic Professionalism” as a roadmap for transforming educational practice through a dual focus on faculty work and student learning. It seeks to interweave the traditional strengths of the liberal arts, the values of civic inquiry and reflection, and the practical work of sustaining and supporting our communities and ourselves. We employ the term civic professionalism to mark the intersection of formal knowledge, vocational exploration/development, and a commitment to the common good.
To facilitate the integration of civic professionalism into arts and humanities undergraduate teaching and learning, the group seeks to develop the following products:
- A shared knowledge base and vocabulary that enables effective collaboration and evidence-based decision-making;
- An array of course, program, and project models, including models focused on faculty work as the driver of student learning, that are compelling to the variety of institutions participating in the research and by extension, to a larger constituency of undergraduate educators;
- A shared set of criteria for selecting proposed models for implementation that includes impact on faculty work and student learning; and
- A shared basis for evaluating success and ensuring effective collaboration in the implementation stages of the project.
- September 2013 Status Report
- Engaged Undergraduate Education Collaboratory’s Working Paper, “Civic Professionalism: A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Liberal Arts Education”
Robin Bachin, History, American Studies, University of Miami
Brigitta R. Brunner, Communication and Journalism, Auburn University
Giovanna Summerfield, Arts and Faculty Initiatives, Auburn University
Catherine Gerard, Program for the Advancement of Research on Conflict and Collaboration, Syracuse University
Kenneth Townsend, Office of the President, Millsaps College
Amanda Suniti Niskode-Dossett