Call for 2019-2020 PAGE Fellows
We are thrilled to invite graduate students with an interest in public scholarship or artistic practice and activism to apply for a 2019-2020 PAGE Fellowship. PAGE Fellows participate in a yearlong working group for collaborative art-making, teaching, writing, storytelling and co-creating knowledge within and for community. Awardees receive a $500 honorarium to attend the 2019 PAGE Summit on October 17th and the IA National Gathering from October 18-20 in Albuquerque, NM. We are artists, scientists, researchers, instigators, cultural leaders, care workers, and community activists.
PAGE co-directors intentionally crafted the fellowship to operate on care and enduring relationships, rather than temporary and transactional engagements. It offers ongoing professional mentorship and emotional support to fellows, especially toward navigating unjust institutional barriers. While there are no limits to the amazing work we can accomplish together in a fellowship year, we prioritize physical, emotional, and mental well-being and accountability throughout the process.
As PAGE fellows build capacity with other publicly-engaged scholars on other campuses, they will join the Imagining America network of activist-scholars, administrators, artists and media makers who are shifting culture toward justice within higher education and society. Examples of ongoing, local projects by PAGE fellows include a Bay Area movement history website, a national report on LGBTQ youth, a resource hub for indigenous playwrights, a photography series on the colonial foundations of neoliberal universities, and much more.
Read about the history of PAGE, our Invitations to Dialogue and at “Turning the PAGE: Ten Years of Leadership for Engaged Graduate Education”.
- A $500 honorarium
- Lodging and waived registration fee to attend the 2019 PAGE Summit on October 17 and the Imagining America National Gathering from October 18 – 20 in Albuquerque, New Mexico (Applicants must be able to attend the PAGE Summit and IA National Gathering to be considered)
- Opportunity to apply for professional development funds
PAGE Fellows will:
- Contribute to the PAGE Blog salon
- Attend PAGE Summit and Imagining America National Gathering
- Participate in bi-monthly conference calls/webinars & cluster meetings
Completed applications must be received by midnight (EST) on Friday, June 14, 2019 to be considered. Applicants will be notified of their status by July 30th. Participation in the program begins with an informal webinar in late August and continues through May 2019.
The PAGE Fellowship application includes the following components:
- 500-700 word essay inspired by the provided prompt (detailed below)
- Answers to three logistical questions (listed below)
- 50-word biography
- Current Curriculum Vitae
In 500-700 words, please respond to the prompt listed below. We are most interested in understanding the publicly engaged roles and commitments that inform your thinking, work, or scholarship. Remember to provide concrete reflections on your public work and spaces of engagement.
Essay prompt: Imagining America envisions a world of expansive social imagination, constructed by multiple ways of knowing, where people work together to nurture healthy, vibrant, and joyful communities. How do you see your public scholarship and/or engaged artistic practice in conversation with IA’s values? In what ways does PAGE align with your short- or long-term goals? What personal values would you bring to PAGE? What does shared leadership and community-based fellowship mean to you? How might you describe your public scholarship and/or engaged artistic practice as contributing to your communities and/or institutions? Please draw upon your individual and institutional positionalities to respond to these questions.
And lastly, answer ALL three logistical questions:
- What is your degree and area of study? Where are you in your course of study, and what is your anticipated graduation date?
- If accepted into the 2019-2020 PAGE Fellow cohort, are you able to attend the PAGE Summit (Oct 17) and all of the Imagining America national gathering in Albuquerque, NM (Oct 18 – 20)? If not, please let us know of any schedule conflicts.
- If you will need additional travel support beyond the $500 honorarium, please tell us about your anticipated need and what level of additional support you would require to make participation possible.
Since 2012, PAGE has been led by a team of co-directors: past fellows who have chosen to stay on and direct the collective fellowship. Contact current co-directors at email@example.com with any questions about the program or application/selection process.
Link to Application: Click Here
Back to Student EngagementView Map